Refinished Children’s Bureau
I was so excited when I found this antique children’s bureau at a yard sale. I actually left to think about it and immediately drove back, cause I knew it would be perfect for my two-year-old, and I was afraid it would be gone! The dresser was 70-years-old and the original owners kept it in great condition, however it needed some modernizing.
The drawer pulls:
The patient process:
Time: About a week (spread out the steps)
Cost: $40 for the Bureau; $59 for primer, paint, doorknobs and a new brush; The rest of the supplies were already on hand (varnish remover, fabric, modge podge)
- Removed the door and knobs.
- I used 5f5 paint and varnish remover first, but this time just used a cloth to remove the varnish (it wasn’t that heavy).
- Lots of sanding on this one… bureau one day, drawers the next.
- This time I used Glidden primer first and then painted over with a Glidden satin finish paint.
- I bought wooden knobs decoupaged fabric onto them using lustre modge podge.
- Reassembling knobs back onto bureau, and door
See also how I refinished this antique school desk!