Spring Cleaning Computer Tips
It’s that time of year again and even though you may be up to your elbows in washing windows and reorganizing cabinets — we want to remind you to add “cleaning your computer” to your spring cleaning list! Below are our favorite tips from Macworld on how to rid computer clutter and free up some storage on your mac. We’ve also added a few of our own computer cleaning tips on how to reorganize files.
In the spirit of spring cleaning, we rounded up our editors’ favorite tips for keeping their Macs tidy and organized.
Some of our own tips:
- Make sure you have some type of backup method, whether it be an external hard drive or some cloud storage account.
- If you are in need of freeing up some additional space look to archiving old files and completely removing them from your computer.
- Reorganize you photos in the cloud. Are your photos being backed up on Dropbox, iCloud, Google Photos? I personally like to go through and remove all the “throwaways” I don’t need and order prints of the keepers.
- If you’re like me and keep files on your desktop as a reminder… time to sort through and move them to your “documents” folder or remove them completely.
- Don’t forget about your devices! Music takes up so much space on my phone.. I like to go through once in a while and remove any songs I might be sick of or don’t really listen to. Or maybe switch to a music app like Spotify Premium or Amazon Prime and remove all music files completely.
- Reorganize your contacts. Whether business or personal, keep your contacts up-to-date.